Kagero's P-38 Lightning at War part II
|Andrzg Sadło and Maciej Góralczyk|
|$16.95 from Kagero|
softbound, 10 ¾ x 8 inches,
TopColors #33 is quite timely based on today's kit preview. This one is for mostly later P-38s and provides full unique markings for eight aircraft. There are a variety of kits one can use for these markings so one only has to look.
As with most sets in this series, there are markings in three scales; 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32. No stripes or other similar markings are provided so the builder will need to keep that in mind. Frankly, it is often preferable stripes and other markings, though it does take a bit more skill and effort. to paint 2 is for the armor fan and specifically for the Panzer IV and variants. This set includes a total of 16 different vehicles. Like others in the series it is tough to categorize, but since it has decals in it, that is where I place it.
Each of the 8 aircraft has a page devoted to it with a full page color profile and often with either detail images, a photo of the real vehicle or both included. Each one of these has a small history of the vehicles depicted in both English and Polish. I have to mention that two of these options are the same plane a few months apart when the markings were embellished. It had me going for a while as I thought the same scheme had been printed twice! All but two options are in overall unpainted metal.
Here is what is included:
- P-38G-13-LO, probable s/n 42-2197, 'Nulli Secundus' / 'X-Virgin', flown by Lt. Kenneth G. Ladd of 80th FS / 8th FG, Dobodura, New Guinea, winter of 1943/1944,
- P-38J-15-LO, s/n 42-104107, 'Jewboy', coded '47', flown by Lt. Philip M. Goldstein of 49th FS / 14th FG, Triolo, Italy, May 1944,
- P-38J-10-LO, s/n 42-67916, 'California Cutie', coded (KI)- 'S', flown by Lt. Richard O. Loehnert of 55th FS / 20th FG, RAF Kings Cliffe, England, June 1944,
- P-38J-15-LO, s/n 43-28444, 'Vivacious Virgin II', coded 'E6-T', flown by Lt. Ian B. Mackenzie of 402nd FS / 370th FG, Florennes/Juxaine, Belgium, winter of 1944/1945,
- P-38L-1-LO, s/n 44-23852, 'Beautiful Bitch', coded 'B7', flown by Lt. John J. Kane of 96th FS / 82nd FG, Vincenzo, Italy, March 1945,
- P-38L-5-LO, s/n 44-26176, 'Vagrant Virgin', coded 'A', flown by Lt. L. V. Bellusci of 36th FS / 8th FG, San Jose, Mindoro, late 1944/early 1945,
- P-38L-5-LO, s/n 44-26176, 'Vagrant Virgin', coded 'A', flown by Lt. Peter Macgowan of 36th FS / 8th FG, Ie Shima, September 1945,
- P-38L-5-LO, probable s/n 44-26568, 'Wicked Woman', coded 'W', flown by Lt. Richard C. Livingston of 36th FS / 8th FG, Ie Shima, August-September 1945
The decals are superbly printed by Cartograf and I detected no issues with registration. As mentioned the builder will need to provide the common markings like insignia from the kit.
When you consider that the average cost of a decal sheet or a book alone, this one is a real bargain.
Review book courtesy of the fine folks at Kagero. You can get yours at the link.
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and fairly quickly, please contact me or see other details in the Note to Contributors.