|REVIEWER:||Scott Van Aken|
|NOTES:||New mold kit|
USS Independence (LCS-2), the class prototype for the Independence-class littoral combat ship, will be the sixth ship of the United States Navy to be named for the concept of independence. It is the design produced by the General Dynamics consortium for the Navy's littoral combat ship program, and competes with the Lockheed Martin-designed USS Freedom.
It is intended as a small assault transport that can take on various capabilities with the installation of mission modules. The ship is a trimaran design that can make more than 40 knots (74 km/h; 46 mph), and was delivered to the Navy at the end of 2009.
I highly recommend visiting the Reference link for much more info on this interesting ship.
This is the first kit I've seen of the latest in littoral defense ships. The kit is not at all complex and can be built either as a waterline or full hulled version. A display stand is included. Photo etch is nicely done and covers the rear landing area and some of the rear weather decks. The sprue with the helos is there just for the five part SH-60. You can relegate the rest to the spares box. I'll let the Cyber-hobby PR listing provide more of the features.
- Detailed integrated ISR suite delicately represented
- Hull-side door can be assembled open/closed
- Hangar is hollow to allow accommodation of helicopter
- True-to-scale SeaRAM including 11-cell launcher and Phalanx CIWS delicately represented
- Hangar door can be assembled open/closed
- Dimensionally accurate flight deck represented in detail
- Included photo-etched safely netting surrounds the flight deck
- Detailed flight deck includes signal lights
- Realistic Life raft canisters and brackets provided
- Bow anchor correctly depicted
- Realistically detailed gun barrel w/hollow muzzle
- Mk 110 57mm dual purpose gun authentically reproduced
- One-piece slide-molded superstructure accurately represented
- One-piece slide-molded lower hull w/both waterline & full-hull versions available
- Stern doors can be assembled open/closed
- MH-60S helicopter is conveniently constructed
- Brand new trimaran hull consisting of main hull and two outrigger hulls
- Waterline or full-hull version can be assembled
- Display stand included for display of full-hull version
The instructions are well done and include markings for the single ship.
If you want something a bit unusual to add to your collection of 1/700 ships, then this is it. What makes it even more nice is that it looks like a pretty uncomplicated build.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCS-2_Independence June 2010 Thanks to www.dragonmodelsusa.com for the preview kit. Get yours at your favorite retailer. If you would like your product reviewed fairly and fairly quickly, please contact the editor or see other details in the Note to Contributors. Back to the Main Page Back to the Previews Index Page
Thanks to www.dragonmodelsusa.com for the preview kit. Get yours at your favorite retailer.
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and fairly quickly, please contact the editor or see other details in the Note to Contributors.
Back to the Main Page
Back to the Previews Index Page