Cyber-hobby 1/700 USS Long Beach (CGN-9)
|REVIEWER:||Scott Van Aken|
|NOTES:||Includes photo etch parts|
USS Longbeach (CGN 9) is a unique ship, principally because it was the only vessel in her class. She was a nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser commissioned on September 9 1961. She also had the distinction of being the USA’s first all-new cruiser design since WWII, and since cruisers built after the Long Beach have generally been based simply on up-scaled destroyer hulls, her crew aptly described her as “The Only Real Cruiser.” USS Longbeach had a pair of 5-inch 38-calibre guns mounted amidships, and at the time of her decommissioning in July 1994, the upgraded cruiser had two Standard Missile launchers, two Tomahawk cruise missile launchers, two Phalanx CIWS and Harpoon missile launchers. The cruiser’s service was concentrated in the Atlantic Fleet from 1961-66, before transferring to the Californian coast. She saw combat in the Gulf of Tonkin during the Vietnam War, and also endured long enough to provide support during the 1991 Gulf War. USS Longbeach, this unique naval vessel, served for 33 years before settling into its current resting place in Puget Sound, Washington.
Always nice to see kits of interesting and important kits. This one from Cyber-hobby seems to portray the Long Beach in her early years as there are options for either the 1961 ship or a slightly later 1967 fit. From what I can gather, the later fit included the two five inch guns amidships and a larger superstructure radar array.
Here is what Dragon USA has to say about the kit:
- Flight deck molded w/intricate details
- True-to-scale propellers reproduced
- Newly tools structure is made from 3-directional slide-mold technology
- One-piece slide-molded upper hull w/undercut details realistically represented
- Sponson are represented on lower hull by slide-mold technology
- Waterline or full-hull version can be assembled
- Intricate whaleboat is presented
- True-to-scale ASRoc launcher is presented
- Ladders in photo-etched parts
- Superstructure presented in details including hoses and windows
- Antenna and ladders are newly presented by photo-etched parts
- Talos launchers accurately produced w/fine details
- AN/SPG-49 Talos illuminators are presented in details
- Detailed MK 56 gun directors are accurately presented
- Optional barrels w/blast bags provided for gun turrets
- Turret w/realistic detail
- Lower mount 5-inch guns realistically produced w/extra knuckle
- Authentic gun barrels are slide-molded w/hollow ends
- Terrier launchers MK 10 w.accurate details
- AN/SP-44 Terrier illuminators are authentically produced
- Engineered for modeling enjoyment
Instructions are typical of the Dragon family of kits with nicely done construction drawings, showing all the options choices. Colors by Gunze and though the back of the instructions shows two different ships, the only difference in colors is the shade of the planar radar antennas.
Modern ship fans will be very pleased to see this one released. It looks to make a superb model and is detailed enough to satisfy most with what comes in the box.
Thanks to www.dragonmodelsusa.com for the preview kit. Get yours today at your local shop.
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and fairly quickly, please contact the editor or see other details in the Note to Contributors.
Back to the Main Page
Back to the Previews Index Page