Dragon 1/35 SdKfz 7/2 3.7cm FlaK 36
|REVIEWER:||Scott Van Aken|
The Sd.Kfz.7 was a German halftrack in the 8-ton prime-mover class that saw widespread service in WWII. Weighing in at 11.53 tonnes, it was originally slated to tow artillery pieces like the 8.8cm Flak gun and 15cm sFH 18 howitzer. However, it was also developed into a successful self-propelled platform for anti-aircraft weapons such as 2cm or 3.7cm cannons for Luftwaffe flak units. The vehicle carrying the latter 3.7cm cannon was known as the Sd.Kfz.7/2, and a total of 123 vehicles were produced up till February 1945. This armored Sd.Kfz.7/2 halftrack version appeared from late 1943 onwards. This particular kit represents the early version without the armored cab.
This is at least the fourth incarnation of the Sdkfz 7 and I predict there are a few more in the offing. Like the other versions, you get a full Magic Track individual track link set as well as their DS molded front tires. It comes with a complete engine as well as the ability to model the kit in travel or action mode. Photo etch screens are provided for around the bed to be displayed up or down. As you notice in the features section below, the gun is a brand new mold for this kit and is just as nicely done as the rest of the kit. I'm sure we will see it featured in other kits and alone in the near future.
Here are the features.
- Brand new mounted 3.7cm Flak 36
- Gunner's seat newly designed for Flak 36 gun
- Side mesh panels can be lowed for combat or raised for transport
- Rear access ladders accurately recreated
- Flak 36 can traverse 360 degrees
- Cannon can be freely posed at different angles
- Slide-molded one-piece gun barrel w/hollow muzzle
- Gun cradle offers great detail definition
- Gun sight and hand wheels w/well-defined detail
- Gun shield molded to correct scale thickness
- 3.7cm ammunition included
- Round base-plate gun platform authentically detailed
- Foot plate can be folded up or down
- Travel lock realistically produced
- Radiator cover molded w/filler cap details realistically reproduced
- Bolt detail on panels realistically rendered
- Layout of on-vehicle tools produced accurately
- Photo-etched mesh for folding sides of rear platform
- Driver's position fully detailed
- Detailed gearbox has multi-parts assembly
- Brake drums have details on both sides
- Winch assembly w/rope, tow hook and actuator realistically reproduced
- Intricately detailed internal mechanical components: engine, gearbox, fuel tank, compressed-air tank, suspension, exhaust and winch
- Rear crossbeam w/roller and trailer coupling depicted like the real one
- Slide molds enable one-piece chassis frame w/support-brace detail
- Finely detailed sub-frame made by slide molds w/muffler and exhaust-pipe assembly
- Photo-etched mount w/bolt detail for Notek light
- Final-drive housing made from separate parts w/bolt and rib detail
- Suspension system as per the real vehicle
- Slide-molded suspension arms and springs w/delicate details
- Intricate clear lenses included
- Magic Tracks for Sd.Kfz.7 half-track
- Track links have reinforcing structure
- Photo-etched flange around sprocket wheel center
- Different road wheels rendered w/delicate detail on both sides
- Sprocket w/realistic ribbed detail
- Front wheels w/authentic tread detail made from DS
There are three markings options. The first one in overall panzer grey is from the Grossdeutschland Infantry Division in 1953. The other two are from unknown units. Dragon helps out by providing windscreen masks, which is much appreciated, though easy enough to do with tape.
It seems like Germany had a plethora of vehicles carrying anti-aircraft guns and this one adds to that growing catalogue. Quick build it will not be as its 550 plus parts will take a bit to assemble. But the end result will be a superb model you'll be very pleased with.
http://en.wikipedia.org May 2011 Thanks to www.dragonmodelsusa.com for the preview kit. Get yours today at your local retailer. If you would like your product reviewed fairly and quickly, please contactme or see other details in the Back to the Main Page Back to the Previews Index Page
Thanks to www.dragonmodelsusa.com for the preview kit. Get yours today at your local retailer.
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and quickly, please contactme or see other details in the
Back to the Main Page
Back to the Previews Index Page