Model Alliance MA-72150: USCG Choppers
don't always get a lot of decal coverage and that is especially true of Coast
Guard ones. This sheet takes care of that with marking, a LOT of markings, for
two that are in current service, the HH-65 and MH-68. The latter is the same as
the Agusta A.109. There are kits for both by Revell, though there will need to
be a number of mods made to do a proper HH-65. All of that is covered in the
instructions. Unfortunately, there is not much in the way of aftermarket to do
the conversions so it is old time modeling that will be needed. In line
with Model Alliance's new sheets, this set covers a variety of schemes.
Model Alliance decals have changed to a booklet style of instructions that are
superbly printed and provide profiles for what seems to be dozens of markings.
It also means that showing profiles of each option in a review is not
possible so my apologies in advance.
The decals are superbly printed by Cartograf. This company
seems to be the de facto printer of choice for a lot of aftermarket companies
and kit manufacturers. Can't blame them as the work is first rate. The sheets
contain serials for all and it looks like there are enough insignia and data
decals to do one each. Additional insignia are available if one wants to do them
all. So what is on the sheet?
- MH-68A Stingray
- MH-68A 1091 HITRON (Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron)
Jacksonville (Florida), February 2004.
- MH-68A 1095 HITRON (Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron)
Jacksonville (Florida), November 2006.
- MH-68A 1109 HITRON (Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron)
Jacksonville (Florida), October 2005.
- HH-65A Dolphin
- HH-65A 6539 Coast Guard Air Station Brooklyn (New York),
- HH-65A 6559 Coast Guard Air Station Miami (Florida), 1990.
- HH-65A 6590 Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point (Hawaii)/USCGC
Boutwell, Operation Iraqi Freedom, North Arabian Gulf, March 2003.
- HH-65A 6592 Coast Guard Air Station Detroit (Michigan), June
- HH-65B Dolphin
- HH-65B 6514 Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans (Louisiana),
- HH-65B 6519 Coast Guard Air Training Center Mobile (Alabama),
- HH-65B 6526 Coast Guard Air Station Detroit (Michigan),
- HH-65B 6552 Coast Guard Air Station Corpus Christi (Texas),
- HH-65B 6567 AVDET 162 Polar Operations Division (POPDIV) Mobile
(Alabama)/ARCTIC WEST-EAST SUMMER 2005 (AWES 05) Cruise USCGC Healy, June
- HH-65B 6578 Coast Guard Air Station Humboldt Bay (California),
- HH-65C Dolphin
- HH-65C 6507 Coast Guard Air Station Houston (Texas), October
- HH-65C 6542 Coast Guard Air Station Savannah (Georgia), March
- HH-65C 6552 Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco (California),
- HH-65C 6563 Coast Guard Air Station Miami (Florida), May 2006.
- HH-65C 6566 Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak (Alaska), 2007.
- HH-65C 6581 Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City (New Jersey),
- HH-65C 6582 Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City (Michigan),
- HH-65C 6588 Coast Guard Air Station Los Angeles (California),
- MH-65C Dolphin
- MH-65C 6518 HITRON (Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron)
Jacksonville (Florida)/ National Security Cutter Bertholf, June 2008.
- MH-65C 6550 Coast Guard Air Station Port Angeles (Washington),
Of course, I am somewhat disappointed that there is not one for San
Diego, but I guess some had to be left off for part 2.
The instruction booklet includes a list of available kits.
This decal set is also available in 1/48 and may be produced in 1/32 as well.
Review sheet courtesy of
The Aviation Workshop
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and quickly, please contact
me or see other details in the Note to