|PRICE:||$16.45 from www.scale-model-kits.com|
|REVIEWER:||Scott Van Aken|
|NOTES:||New Tool Kit|
The Internet is pretty well mum on information regarding this plane. I did find the Moskalev was a relatively proficient designer who really didn't have any major production success with his aircraft. This particular design is apparently a low powered attack aircraft where the trailing wheel was some sort of terrain following mechanism that possibly was connected to the flight control surfaces. It may also have been designed to carry a bomb for very low level insertion, but that seems rather implausible. This trailing wheel served as a tail wheel when the plane was on the ground.
Whatever the purpose the aircraft was a pre-war design that was not put into service. In fact, I'm not sure if it actually flew as I've not been able to find a photo of the plane so any information would be appreciated.
The small zip bag contains two grey sprues, a clear canopy and decals. Molding on the sprues is actually quite good with a teeny amount of flash on three braces, no sink areas and nicely done engraved panel lines. The cockpit accommodations include a seat, control stick, rudder pedals and a floor. There is also an instrument panel with nicely detailed instruments and a rear bulkhead. The engine cylinders are separate and fit into depressions on the rear of the stub fuselage.
Probably the only tricky parts will be the alignment of the three rods that make up the forward skid attachment point and the alignment of the single central fin/rudder. Both this latter part and the area for the main gear lets have their placement engraved so that you can easily find it. The kit comes with a small sheet that is basically insignia. The aircraft itself is dark green over light blue. AMT reference numbers are provided. The instructions are wholly in Russian but thanks to the well drawn construction steps, that is not a barrier to completing the kit.
|COLORS & MARKINGS|
At this time, painting seemed like a good idea. The aircraft is AMT-7 light blue
on the underside and AMT-4 green upper. The underside was first done and when
dried, masked and the upper side was spraye d. I have to say that the ColourCoats
paint I used went on quite well. I then started attaching more bits, such as the
fin/rudder piece. This required the attachment hole in the upper portion of the
horizontal stab to be enlarged.
Once that was done, I resprayed the upper surface. Then I got ready to attach the lower portion of the fin. This had to be sanded more flat on the attachment area. The section was glued and as I moved the fin section towards the underside of the tail plane to attach it, an invisible hand reached out of the seventh (or was it the eighth) dimension and snatched the part away. Oaths and incantations were insufficient to cause the part to reappear so I had little choice but to resort to plastic card to make another.
A bit more painting to fix things and the masking was removed from the body. There were some seepages, but fortunately, the ColouCoats paint brushes beautifully and one really cannot see any hue change. Since the paint is semi gloss anyway, I decided to attach the decals. AMP provides six stars and states that they go on the upper and lower wings and the fin. Well, most Soviet combat planes didn't have upper wing stars, but I put them on anyway. The decals are quite matte and seemed to be non-plussed by setting solution. In other words, it neither helped nor hindered.
d. I have to say that the ColourCoats paint I used went on quite well. I then started attaching more bits, such as the fin/rudder piece. This required the attachment hole in the upper portion of the horizontal stab to be enlarged.
Thanks to www.scale-model-kits.com for the preview kit. Get yours today at the link and at a discount.
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and quickly, please contact me or see other details in the Note to Contributors.
Back to the Main Page
Back to the Review Index Page