Hasegawa 1/72 P-40N Warhawk
|PRICE:||1400 yen SRP at the time|
|REVIEWER:||Scott Van Aken|
|NOTES:||337 FS boxing from 2002|
Hasegawa's P-40 kits have been around for a very long time. They were one of their first series of engraved kits and a 1976 catalogue I have shows them as part of their line-up. As such, these kits have very nice external detailing; to an extent. The wheel wells have no detail and are actually a bit shallow. The rear cockpit section is lacking any of the panel lines normally seen. There are some sink areas on my kit, the back cockpit area being one offender. The worst area is the upper wing section, which has one that is the length of the flap.
The cockpit itself is very basic with a seat shape, instrument panel, floor and control stick. At this time, one was expected to use the pilot figure, which would cover up most of the lack of detail or accuracy. Hasegawa likes to mold pieces on larger parts, hence the radio mast and pitot tube are already in place, ready to be knocked off by handling.
The wing is a single lower piece with two upper wing sections. Typical of P-40 kits in this scale, the main wing guns are on the centerline of the wing instead of just below it. Main landing gear are lacking retraction struts, again, something pretty normal in this scale. Gear doors are molded in one piece and will need to be cut for the gear down option. Prop and spinner are separate items. Exhaust are a single piece that can be installed after the kit has been painted. This is all topped by a one-piece canopy section that is quite clear. Decals are provided for two options; one from the 337 FS/502 FG with the large parrot's head marking and the other a somewhat generic 7FS/49 FG plane from 1944.
First thing I did was to look for aftermarket. I found a True Details cockpit set for this in the stash and while I looked for replacement resin exhaust, was unable to locate any. I then painted all the interior bits with Testors Interior Green and then proceeded to detail paint and assemble the resin cockpit. One has to enlarge the gun sight opening at the top of the anti-glare panel after removing the rather pathetic looking stock gun sight.
I then assembled the nose radiator bits and closed the fuselage halves. I also built the wings. The wings have very long sink areas on the top inboard of the ailerons that needed filled. There is also a rather poor fit over the landing gear 'knuckles' on the front that needed work. I then installed the instrument panel. This was followed by the cockpit. In this case, I had to remove the old mounting stubs and shave off quite a bit of the lower floor's excess resin to get the wings to fit. When installing the cockpit, I used superglue to first cement one of the interior side pieces to the fuselage wall. This had to be clamped. When dry, I did the same on the other side.
With the fuselage together along with the interior, I then attached the wings. As mentioned previously, I had to sand away quite a bit of the large pour stub under the fuselage floor to get the wings to fit. This was pretty much a sand, test fit, repeat sort of thing. Eventually I got it to where the wing fit. This is a very good fit so I'm pleased with how it turned out. On the underside there is a seam that needs filled as Hasegawa molded part of the flap with the upper wing piece and part with the lower wing, leaving a gap. I then attached the tailplanes, which are a snug fit.
At this point I masked and attached the canopy, getting ready to paint.
|COLORS & MARKINGS|
December 2014 Thanks to me for the review kit and resin. Thanks to FCM
for the decals. If you would like your product reviewed fairly and fairly quickly, please
or see other details in the
Contributors. Back to the Main Page
Back to the Review
Thanks to me for the review kit and resin. Thanks to FCM for the decals.
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and fairly quickly, please contact the editor or see other details in the Note to Contributors.
Back to the Main Page
Back to the Review Index Page