|NOTES:||Limited production kit, probably issued about 1992. Probably available at swap meets|
The type was manufactured by no less than 57 companies, including Etrich, Albatros, DFW, Gotha, Halberstadt, Kondor, Roland, and Rumpler. The Rumpler version was especially popular, and the plane is now commonly referred to as the “Rumpler Taube” although many other firms were involved.
A two seater, the Taube was used primarily for observation, although in the early stages of the war it was used to drop light bombs. As the war progressed, more efficient aircraft replaced it, and the type was out of front line service by 1915.
The kit is injection molded in white styrene, and consists of approximately ten major parts, with a number of white metal parts, including the engine, seats, internal cockpit details, radiators, and some of the landing gear struts. In addition, there are some plastic strips provided for making struts to brace the wings, tailplane, and landing gear. These are typical of limited production kits, with some flash, but nothing that any experienced model can’t trim off easily. I found that the struts were hopelessly warped, so I used plastic strips and rods in most cases.
The cockpit interior needs to be build up and painted first, and this involves some trimming. Superglue is needed, as there are some plastic to metal joints. There isn’t much information in the small instruction sheet, so I would suggest Googling ”Etrich Taube”, which will bring up numerous photos and drawings which will be very helpful. Keep in mind that there were numerous variations to this design, so decide on which plane you will be modeling, and built it in that configuration. A major problem is the engine, which needs to be seated down on a small shelf in the front of the fuselage. The cowling needs to be trimmed back for this, as the engine will eventually need exhaust stacks and one water pipe assembly on the left side, and these will be difficult to fit unless the cowling is trimmed down. This problem will become obvious when you get to this stage of the construction.
|COLORS & MARKINGS|
Once the wings and tailplanes were installed, and all seams were filled, it was time for painting. I used the kit instructions for reference, using silver for the cowling and a beige fabric color for the rest of the airplane. I masked off the engine and cockpit interior, so painting was an easy task. Then the fun began.
There are some three view drawings on line that will be helpful. Just about every conceivable part of this airplane is braced by at least one wire. The box art four view drawing is also very helpful, and it is complete enough that you shouldn’t really need any more information. Again, place the airplane on its back without any upper struts attached. I use stranded electronic wire, from which I strip the insulation. I then roll the wire out on a flat surface until the wire is perfectly straight. I measure the wire’s required length with a set of dividers, cut it to size with a round bladed Xacto knife. Then handling the wire with tweezers, I use a spot of white glue to attach the wire in the proper position. I took approximately three hours to attach all of the rigging wires on this model, and it certainly was a tedious process, but the effects are all out of proportion to the effort involved. Once all of the struts and rigging wire were in place on the bottom, I CAREFULLY turned the model over on its gear, and attach any struts on the top. Once these are in position, I cut and attached the wires on the upper surfaces of the plane. I also attached the struts on the wingtips and tailplane, and then applied the wires in their proper positions. Gluing on the prop was the final step, and the model was finally finished.
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and quickly, please contact me or see other details in the Note to Contributors.
Back to the Main Page
Back to the Review Index Page