Airfix 1/72 TA-7C Corsair II
|PRICE:||1988: 7s 6d|
|REVIEWER:||Carmel J. Attard|
Conversion A: using two A7E Kits to produce a TA7C. Conversion B: Airfix A7E + Falcon conversion fuselage
The TA-7 as came to be known, was 500 Lb heavier apart from being longer than the E model. The rear cockpit, which accommodated the instructor, was raised above the forward one and a new upper fuselage and dorsal fairing added. A housing was added to the rear fuselage to fit a landing drag chute located at the base of the fin. The forward cockpit was unchanged from the A-7E and the rear has full primary and secondary controls for take-off, navigation and landing on carrier decks or concrete runways. The canopy is a one-piece moulding hinged on the starboard fuselage. A rear protection shield is provided between the cockpits to give the rear occupant protection in the event of emergency ejection. The production version was fitted with a standard radome. Following the success of the TA-7 conversion and good performance, 24 TA-7 were eventually converted from A-7B and 36 from A-7C that formed two A-7 units.
Two A-7 kits were required to obtain the new fuselage extensions. In my case I used a brand new Airfix A-7 and parts from another scrapped one. The two fuselage halves are first cemented together leaving out the ducting part 1 and part 2, bulkhead 5 and the cockpit components parts 3 and 4. A razor saw cut out marked lines on both halves of another fuselage into three sections. These sections are placed on one side and the intake ducting from both kits was cut into 4 sections (see sketch). The ones shown in red are discarded and the remaining parts are cemented together as depicted in the sketch, which resulted into a lengthened duct of an overall length of 2.04 inches long. At the rear of this duct bulkhead 5 was then cemented.
The second part of the conversion consisted of lengthening the fuselage by inserting the extensions at the forward and at the rear of the fuselage, the rear fuselage being at a slight tilt upward as mentioned earlier. Cutting the rear insert section slightly wider at the bottom does this. The four fuselage half inserts (these are shown in red, see drawing) are now glued to the fuselage from the other kit, which was also parted accordingly. The rest follows the kit instructions and also involves building the second crew accommodation, inserting a second seat, coaming, side and front instruments and control stick. These are built u from plastic card cut or bent to shape. Having detailed the interior and painted interior grey with touches of black. The drag parachute housing at the base of the fin at rear is made from a shaped piece of sprue. Any blemishes or slight stagger at the seams is corrected by fairing with Plasto filler followed by sanding. The undercarriage is assembled according to kit instructions. The clear canopy came from a cockpit canopy set issued by Airmodel.
|COLORS & MARKINGS|
wn grey attached to attack
squadron VA-174 based at NAS Cecil Field. I used Maintrack (UK) decals that
proved timely issued for this conversion.
wn grey attached to attack squadron VA-174 based at NAS Cecil Field. I used Maintrack (UK) decals that proved timely issued for this conversion.
Carmel J. Attard
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and fairly quickly, please contact the editor or see other details in the Note to Contributors.
Back to the Main Page
Back to the Review Index Page