Hasegawa 1/48 FiSk 199

KIT:

 FiSk 199

KIT #

 

PRICE:

 

DECALS:

 

REVIEW BY:

HENRI VANDERSTRAETEN

NOTES:

Hasegawa 1/48 Bf-109G-2 conversion

HISTORY

One the many experiments with the Bf 109 was the attempt to make it carry (and deliver) a 500 kg bomb. Fieseler in Kassel did the design work and Skoda in Bohemia & Moravia built the prototype wich was designated FiSk 199. A Bf 109 G-0, BD + GC, was converted to test the development potential. The DB601 was replaced by a DB 605, one R4 drop tank was added beneath each wing, as well as an ETC500 bomb rack under the fuselage. To clear the large 500kg bomb from the ground during take off, a third main landing gear leg and wheel was plugged in a middle position in the fuselage, right behind the pilot’s seat. After take off, the supplementary wheel was jettisoned and went back to earth with a parachute. Some tests were made but didn’t led to production.

THE KIT

To make my model, I choose Hasegawa’s beautiful Bf 109 G -2 kit. I really like this kit, as it is simple, accurate and easy to convert to a multitude of versions. There are also plenty of decals and after market detail sets available.

CONSTRUCTION

The cockpit was detailed with the set from Cooper Details, one of the best on the market, in my opinion. All moving surfaces were cut and placed at an angle, for added realism. To make the wingtip lights, I drilled a tiny hole in a piece of clear acrylic and I filled it with the according clear red or green paint. It was then glued in place, filed to form the wingtip contour and polished.

The third landing leg was made from aluminum tubing and plastic card, and the wheel came from the spares box. The large 500 kg bomb came from the old Fujimi Bf 109 G/K kit and was detailed with new fins from plastic card.

The cockpit was pressurized, therefore, the moving part of the canopy was modified accordingly by adding a plate behind the pilot’s head. I used a piece of clear plastic, where the two small triangular windows were masked before painting RLM 66 as the rest of the cockpit. 

 

PAINT & DECALS

The rest of the kit was built as per the instructions, and the camouflage painted with Aeromaster acrylics. I used as few decals as possible, so painted the crosses directly onto the model, using frisket paper masks. I would have done the same with the codes, but three sets of « rounded » letters were too much for my patience at the time ! I confess I used decals… 

CONCLUSIONS

 It was a pleasant and quite easy conversion to make and I hope you enjoy the result as much as I did the work.

Back to Main Page

Back to Reviews Page